Dietetic Internship: Finishing Up Community/Research Rotation

Alright, so I'm in the home stretch of my community nutrition rotation and I'm stressed beyond belief with all this research stuff (which I should be working on as I write this...), but I've had some realizations.

(1) I made it! Regardless of how much I felt like I struggled along the way, this is it! After next Friday I will no longer have to be worrying about my research or analyzing data or drawing conclusions...it will all be over. As for my community site, that's already over! I never have to go back again and in all reality got very positive feedback on my performance while I was there. It wasn't my favorite place to be, but I definitely learned a lot and worked with some great people. I think they're great at what they do, I just know I'd never be able to do it. It is not my forte and therefore I will leave it to someone else.

(2) I learned that I really enjoy nutrition policy. Like getting involved with Child Nutrition Reauthorization and seeing how there is a role for dietitians in putting together policy was something I had never considered before. There is a lot of room for advocacy within nutrition as well, which I was never exposed to during my undergrad. Who knew that dietitians were fighting to get licensure and reimbursement? I didn't until this year. It has been really eye opening and I think that if I were to do something in the field of community nutrition I would try to find something where that would be in my job description (or something like that).

(3) Even though I haven't done clinical yet, I'm excited for it. I feel like that will be more applied nutrition and I think it is an atmosphere I will thrive in (I hope!). I think a skill I need to work on more for the rest of this internship is applying the things I learn into practice. I don't think I'm the best critical thinking and I would like to work on that more. While I in no way see myself becoming an academic, I really would like to feel like I can take a piece of information and apply it later on. I don't think I'm good at that right now. Also, some of the feedback on my evaluation from my preceptor was that I need to work on making the complicated things more understandable and relating them at a basic level. Probably true...so I want to work on that.

Anyway, this has been a very long and probably very grammatically incorrect post. However, I had a lot on my mind that I wanted to write down while I was thinking it. I think even a month from now when I look at this I will have a whole new set of stressors and doubts about myself. But hopefully will have improved upon some of the ones I touched on here. So now I'm going to get dressed (since I'm just out of the shower), run some errands (BANK!), and then come back here and work my butt off so this practice research presentation can go well tomorrow. Then this weekend it will be all about working my butt off to make my research paper awesome! Somewhere in there I will find time to work on my culinary lab stuff, and my leadership paper stuff. And then next week it literally is the last week. Wish me luck on all of this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year In Review: 2012

Senior Year: Procrastination in an art-form...

New Marriage, New House, New Job